[evlatests] P-band receiver stability

Huib Intema (NRAO) hintema at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 17 18:19:33 EDT 2014

Hi Rick,

Thanks for this report. It is useful to have such a long observing run,
which allows for uncovering some of the issues that are more difficult
to spot in the few-minute test observations I usually analyze.

Regarding the "two-gain-state" problem, I have seen antennas that
misbehave in one test, but not in another. We have had quite a few
issues with cables (and many thanks to the engineers that have fixed
most of them), so maybe some of those have half-broken cables. At least
both EA04 and EA16 have previously been reported as "likely
intermittent" (e.g., see WIDAR P-band status update: 01OCT2014), as well
as EA19 and EA28.

I have also noted some time-variability in the gains of some antennas. A
few also have strong bandpass ripples (like EA13-L/Y), also mostly cable
issues, which may be what is causing these gain variations. If that is
true it would be really bad, as it would NOT calibrate out (unless one
resorts to time-variable bandpass calibration, which is highly
undesirable).

Note that your antenna list for Y-problems ends with ea2, which suggests
that a number was dropped. Please confirm.

-- Huib