[evlatests] the P band polarization saga

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 12 17:24:17 EDT 2014

     Finally, some clarity ... (except that we are quite certain the
various antennas are connected differently, which means that
they all have cross-wiring, but in different places).

     I agree with Bryan here.  We should pick a standard, and cable
and label *everything* according to this standard.

     The intended standard:

     V dipole connected to RCP electronics, which becomes X on
the astronomy side,

     and

     H dipole connected to LCP electronics -> Y in the astronomy side

     is logical to me.

    This would mean tagging those cables with H
and V at each end, and ensuring that H is connected to L, and V to R.

     Also:  The T301 (4P Converter) should be labelled *only* with H and V,
and the T302 (LSC Converter) should be labelled 'bilingually' on the input.

     By doing this, we should ensure nobody else following us need be
confused (as we have been, for so long ...).

     And all this should be written up and recorded in a logical place.

     Rick