[evlatests] 4band, interference and ea14

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:00:51 EDT 2014

Allen Woo, Dennis Mobley & I checked around ea14 and ea10 with a
handheld scanner today.  Dennis helped switch off ACU components
one-by-one while Allen & I listened at various VHF frequencies
with the scanner.

While on ea10 (old style ACU) We verified that the old "C-rack"
puts out the strongest birdie at 50 & 55 MHz by far!  The MIB/ACU
interface chassis is the next noisiest.  Lastly, the "Data
Readout" chassis and the 48 VDC switching power supply are also
noisy at 50 MHz, but quite a bit quieter than the C-rack.

On ea14 we do see the 50 & 55 MHz, but it is very weak--perhaps
coming only from the 48 VDC switching power supply, or an adjacent
antenna(s).

So it appears that last year's guess that the 5 MHz comb was coming
from the old ACU components is mostly likely correct.

Earlier in the day Allen & I verified that the 50 & 55 MHz RFI is
clearly visible on ea14 at DE08 using the EVLA bandpass plotter tool.
ea14 has the new ACU components.  We also saw a mostly populated,
5 MHz VHF comb on ea12 & ea19 (the other MJP-equipped antennas, but
which have the old ACU components).

What we'd like to do is take a bandpass plot of 4-band on ea14, then
turn-off the *old* ACU stuff on the adjacent antennas (ea10 at DE09,
ea03 at DE07, & ea15 at DE06), then check with the bandpass plotter
tool again & see if the 50 & 55 MHz RFI goes away, or, at least gets
substantially weaker.  If so, we will know that ea14 with the new ACU
components is not the major source, and most of the VHF RFI junk is
coming from the adjacent antennas.

We can't do that today or tomorrow because we will be prepping for, and
installing the next MJP equipment on ea06.  However, if we can shutdown
the ACUs on the 4 end antennas on the east arm simultaneously on Thursday,
we could run the test then.  If not, we wait for the next week maintenance
day for this definitive test of the source of the VHF comb.

-Mert