[evlatests] P-band status, cont.

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 28 19:45:47 EST 2014

On 1/28/2014 9:43 AM, Rick Perley wrote:
>      After a bit of analysis, a more detailed status report:
>
>      1) Reversed Polarizations:
>
>      ea06, ea17

We worked on EA17 today and fixed the problem with low output power (a
loose connector in the LO/IF distribution).  I forgot to swap the
polarization.  We'll swap EA06 and 17 as soon as we can (next day or two).

Also, EA22 moved from the master pad to north arm.  P-band dipole
installed and appears to be about 5 degrees off optically.  Receiver
installed today (Tuesday) and all checks OK.  Should now be fully
functional.

EA14 now in the barn.  Receiver and P-band dipole pulled so they can
work on the subreflector.  Will be out of the array for a while.

>      2) Low Power:
>      ea06 'R':  Low in power by 13 dB
>      ea16 'R':  Low by 15 dB
>      ea20 'R':  Low by 3 dB
>      ea25 'L':  Low by 23 dB

Will check.  Low band specifications call for output power to be within
3dB between all receivers, and no more than 3dB difference between
polarization channels.  EA20 seems right at specifications.  13-23dB low
is clearly a problem, however, and will check.

>      3) High Cross Polarizations  (> ~ 10%)
>      ea04, ea06, ea11, ea17, ea20.

Will check EA06 and 17 optical alignment when we swap polarizations, and
the others as we can get to them.

As observed, when the subreflector moves in rotation, the P-band dipoles
tend to move 3-5 degrees (mechanical slop), depending on direction of
subreflector travel.  We may not be able to guarantee axis alignment any
better than this 3-5 degrees.

>      All else looks very good.

Thanks.  We're zeroing in on a 100% functional low band system.

Paul