[evlatests] Time taken to change bands

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 14 14:44:28 EST 2014

P to L is the largest focus change (P to S is close).  from P to L is
almost 17 cm (average - worst case is 21 cm!), which means ~30 seconds
to move the subreflector.

from the parameters database, currently:

               focus
band   median   min   max
----   ------   ----  ----
  P      11.9    11.8  11.9
  L      -5.0    -9.0   3.0
  S      -2.5    -6.0   2.0
  C       0.9    -3.0   5.3
  X       1.5    -2.5   5.8
  Ku      2.2    -2.0   6.2
  K       2.2    -1.9   6.2
  Ka      2.2    -2.0   6.4
  Q       2.2    -1.8   6.4

the wide range explains why you see a large variation between antennas.

yes, 20 seconds is conservative, but we *need* to be conservative when
doing things in the OPT, because we don't know even what the worst case
is for a band change, because it depends on the current values in the
parameters database (when the SB is run, vs. when it is constructed in
the OPT).  if we tune it to the average, then half the antennas won't
make it, etc...

and it really affects very few projects.

we've had this discussion before (december 2010, most recently)...

	-bryan