[evlatests] PDif Compression -- where it doesn't come from ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 20 18:14:51 EDT 2014

     We ran two test scripts last week, observing Cygnus A and some
nearby standard calibrators at P and L bands.  The primary purpose was
to check on system linearity, in preparation for upcoming 'flux density'
runs.    The regimen utilized was to set the power levels (in the T304)
on  Cygnus A, and also to set the requantizer power levels for each
subband -- something not yet done for regular observing at these
bands.    These levels were then 'remembered' for the rest of the
observing run.

     A benefit of this test was a check on the long-standing 'PDif
Compression' problem.  To remind readers, this is the observation that
the synchronous power decreases, for many antennas and IFs, when the
antennas observe a strong source such as Cygnus A, or the moon.  There
is much evidence that this decrease in switched power is *not* due to an
actual reduction in gain (so application of the switched power
calibration regimen would be incorrect) -- but we have not had to date a
clear measure of whether the visibilities are affected.   We have now a
clear answer.  (Read on ...)

     The essential results are:

     1) There is almost no PDif Compression at P-band.  Cygnus A
multiplies the system power by a factor of about four.

     2) There is significant PDif compression at L-band, where Cygnus A
multiplies the system power by a factor of about 5.  Significant
compression (more than 10%) is seen in only a few antennas/IFs -- ten
out of 52 signal paths.

     3) By utilizing self-calibration, I can compare the required gain
corrections for the visibility data against the PDif compression values
to judge whether the presence of PDif compression causes visibility gain
changes.  The answer is *yes*, but the effect is not large.  For those
antenna-IFs which 'compress' more than 5%, there is a loss of fringe
power (not amplitude) by 2 to 10%.  For a 15% PDif compression, the
visibility power drop is about 5%.  All antenna-IFs with significant
compression show visibility decline. This suggests the presence of a
small non-linear response in the analog system.  PDif measures the slope
of the gain curve -- for a non-linear response, this not the same as the
loss of overall gain. For a system going into compression, the slope
will decrease as the power increases.  This qualitatively matches the
observations.

     4)  This measurement encouraged us to try a simple test yesterday,
with the goal of isolating where in the system the compression might be
occurring.  For two antennas with the largest compression in both
polarizations (ea01 and ea04 -- all four paths were compressed by 10 to
15%), we had 6dB attenuators inserted into the RF path, immediately
after the receivers.  This lowers the power to the T302 (LSC Converter),
and to the input amplifiers of the T304.    Note that the input
attenuators of the T304 will put the power levels to all downstream
components to the same level as in the first experiment.  Hence, the
only portion of the signal change for which the power levels changed
should be the T302 and the input amplifier of the T304.
     Observations of Cygnus A and 3C380 were then taken, with exactly
the same setup procedures as described above.

     *** The result of this was that there was no significant difference
in the PDif compression in these two antennas!! ***  (Nor was there any
significant difference in any other antenna).

     5) This null result strongly suggests the problem must lie in one
of two places:

     a) In the front end.
     b) In the amplifiers in the D30x sampler modules, or the samplers
themselves.

     A strong argument against (b) is this:  If the D30x amplifiers were
at fault, we should see the same compression in all bands for the same
IFs, since both the power and the spectral power presented to the
sampler is the same at each band.   But we don't.  Each band is
different.   Furthermore, many tests done a couple years ago where we
stepped the T304 attenuators over wide ranges exonerated the T304s and
the subsequent digital path.  (Or, to be honest, we think we exonerated
these ...)

     A strong argument against (a) is this:  The FE amplifiers are
designed with very high headroom, since we know that incidental RFI
could add more than 20 dB of power.  Furthermore, the Y-factor (hot/cold
load) tests done by Bob Hayward and I, at all bands, regularly added up
to 10 dB of wide-band power, with no sign of any non-linearity.

     So we (or at least I) are again at a loss to explain this
well-observed problem.  We could separate these two proposed origins by
swapping either a D30x sampler module, or a FE, between two antennas
(one with clear compression with one without).  I suppose the first is
much easier ...

     Comments, suggestions (or, better, solutions!) are welcome.