[evlatests] Strong or Pulsed RFI in X-band

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 11 10:30:36 EDT 2014

Certainly 10.7-12.7 GHz is assigned to Fixed Satellite, space
to earth.  The strongest signals in that band, however, should
have been at the top end (12.2-12.7 GHz), which is the direct
broadcast band (DirecTV, EchoStar (TheDish), etc.).

The earth-resource satellite TerraSAR-X transmits a radar signal
at 9650/295 MHz with an EIRP of +106 dBm from 515 Km, so that is
quite likely what you saw.  It is a pulsed radar, so it should be
expected to produce a comb of spectral lines, separated by 1/pri.
We studied this back in 2012, worried about the possibility of
X-band FE damage if there was a beam-on-beam hit. (Highly, highly
unlikely.)

-Mert