[evlatests] L302 phase jumps

jjackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:50:42 EDT 2014

I can't see any reason this should be connected to antenna moves or
location.  The problem seems to be completely related to the timing
relationship between the two signals (128 MHz and 20 Hz) that go from
the L305 to the L302. That should be contained entirely within the LO/IF
rack. The only outside influence I can see affecting it is temperature
but that is spec'd very tight and seems well controlled.

Swapping out the L302's or L305 could certainly cause it to show up.  It
seemed likely swapping out the L305's could have caused a bunch of these
to show up at once - though Vivek claims that doesn't correlate.
Perhaps a combination of the planned L305 swaps and routine L302
maintenance swaps explains this.  Historically, synthesizers tend to be
one of the higher maintenance items in a system like this, so they will
likely move around frequently. The tests Vivek is working on should be
useful to check out any L302 for this symptom immediately after it is
installed.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim Jackson
Project/Lead Hardware Engineer
Very Large Array(VLA) / Very Long Baseline Array(VLBA) radio telescopes
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
1003 Lopezville Rd.
P.O. Box O
Socorro, NM 87801