[evlatests] L-band Problems

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 16 10:08:50 EDT 2014

     A short holography test yesterday gave the opportunity to check on
L-band performance.  A few issues were noted:

     1) ea19 gave no signal (was 'dead') in LCP.    RCP was normal.

     2) ea18, in IF 'C', has an extraordinary bandpass!  The spectral
power density in the central sections was near normal, but the bandpass
slopes downwards smoothly towards both edges, with spectral power too
low by about 20 dB at the extreme ends.  The phase structure is normal.
I've attached a plot to demonstrate, showing the (normal) IF 'A'
bandpass (upper) and the extraordinary IF 'C' bandpass (lower).  There
are two traces for each, the upper is the phase, the lower the spectral
power response.  I've never seen a parabola-like shape to the bandpass
before ...

     3) ea24, in IF 'D', has low power and a fairly strong bandpass
ripple (2 dB, pk-pk).  The ripple period is ~ 20 MHz, suggesting a
reflection of length ~ 7.5 meters.