[evlatests] evlamon & lando-new disappearing

Bill Sahr bsahr at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 9 14:22:46 EDT 2013

Now that the rollover to a PostgreSQL based version of the evla
parameters dbase is completed, we (Daniel Lyons & I ) are turning
our attention to evlamon and lando-new.  Soon, lando-new will
become lando, and when it does, evlamon, the Oracle based evla
monitor data archive, will disappear, and the machine name
"lando-new" will disappear.

1) If you have developed software or sqlplus/SQL scripts that use
the dbase "evlamon",  now is the time to convert to the use of
"evlampts" on "evlampt-proddb".

2) If you have already converted to the use of evlampts, then
you are referring to the host machine as "lando-new.evla.nrao.edu",
or some variation of the "lando-new" name.  Now is the time to
replace the machine name "lando-new.evla.nrao.edu" with the name
"evlampt-proddb".

"evlampts" is the PostgreSQL based version of the database that
contains evla antenna monitor data.  It is the replacement for
evlamon.

"evlampt-proddb" is an alias (CNAME) for the machine that hosts
the evlampts dbase.

Right now, evlampts points to lando-new.  However, when lando-new
becomes lando, evlampt-proddb will be changed to point to lando.
The machine name will change, but the name "evlampt-proddb" will
not.

So, using the name "evlampt-proddb" to reference the machine that
hosts evlampts will always work, even if the underlying machine
name changes.  Using the dbase name "evlampts" & the host/machine
name "evlampt-proddb" to access evla antenna monitor data will
always work, even if we to rollover to the standby antenna monitor
dbase.

*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*
All software that references "evlamon" &/or "lando-new" or
"lando-new.evla.nrao.edu"  must be changed.

I will publish connection parameters & JDBC library details in
a subsequent posting.

Sample Java code that connects to evlampts on evlampt-proddb is
available on request.

Please feel free to contact Daniel Lyons &/or myself with any
questions.

Bill Sahr