[evlatests] Some low-band issues

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 7 20:03:47 EST 2013

Deb Shepherd wrote:
> I think this should be decided by Frazer and Paul.   It is very good to
> know what the issues are but we have to be careful that we don't pull
> Paul in too many directions at once.

Thank you for your concern.  Let me clarify a couple of things.

Frazer and I are in full agreement that finishing the build has top
priority.  We communicate often on the status.  My personal goal is to
complete the build and installation in June, giving us a couple of
months before the official completion date to play with the system and
address any lingering problems before awarded observing begins.

When you go to the site to install low band receivers or for Maintenance
Day, you're out there for the whole day.  If the installation goes
smooth, there's usually plenty of time to check off a few things on your
"to do list" while you're out there - such as swapping polarization
cables.  Not effecting the build schedule at all.

Installing an LBR down in that barrel is a major evolution.  Once
installed, it ain't going nowhere.  Not one LBR has been moved or
swapped since initial installation.  That's why I have the table on the
web page (http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/LBR/lbr.htm) to show this
marriage of receiver to antenna.  Thus, the receiver/antenna mating is
very stable and strive to keep it that way.  In the future, receivers
needing work to correct gains, Tcal values or maintenance, will be
returned to their originating antenna if at all possible.

I am elated to see so much recent interest in the low band, and always
appreciate the feedback and help I get from the Scientific Staff.  Like
you, I want it to all work as best as it can, too.  Your feedback helps
me do that.

All but one antenna are now fully cabled; two more receivers will be
installed next week for a total of 22; probably two more by the end of
March.  We are ahead of schedule.

Paul