[evlatests] Set-and-Remember weakness?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 12 09:39:58 EDT 2013

    I asked yesterday whether an antenna, temporarily taken out of
service for maintenance, should lose its 'set and remember' settings.
Barry responded:

Barry G. Clark wrote:
> If taken an stowed, the setting should be remembered.  If removed
> from the subarray entirely and readded, I'm not sure.

    The evidence suggests otherwise -- at least at L and S bands.
    During the 'Flux Redux' run, ea05, 17, and 26 were each taken out of
service for a short period of time for maintenance.  The operator's log
states that 17 and 26 were 'stowed', while ea05 was 'parked'.  Upon
restoration to the array, the switched and total powers at S-band were
about 7, 12, and 40 times higher than they were before the maintenance.
(!)  The effect was much less marked at L-band (where one antenna
actually went down in power).  At all other bands, there were no changes.

    Something special about S&R at S and L bands?