[evlatests] Temperature-Sensitive Gains at Ku-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 5 11:01:02 EDT 2013

    A major justification for the 'Flux Redux' run (taken last
Thursday/Friday) was to judge whether thermal isolation of the
calibration noise diodes at Ku-band is sufficient to remove the strong
temperature dependence of the post-calibration gains.

    I've attached an example of just how strong this is, taken from the
May 02/03 flux densities run.  Shown are the residual gains over 30
hours for two antennas.  The 24-hour periodicity is very easy to see,
with pk-pk amplitude of about 4% -- an 8% variation in power.  This is
far above the EVLA spec.

    I emphasize here that this is the variation after application of the
switched power.  Were the switched power monitor not applied, the
variation would be very much larger -- about 20%, pk-pk!

    It is believed that the residual gain variation is due to
temperature-induced change in output noise power from the diode.  the
primary driver for the temperature change is believed to be a 'heat
pipe' effect -- the diodes are mounted with good thermal conduct to the
Ku-band horn, which extends well outside the vertex room.  One antenna
-- ea15, had its noise diode thermally isolated in the May 02/03 run,
and indeed its residual variation is much less -- barely notable at
all.   This is suggestive, but not proof, as there are a couple of other
antennas which have much smaller variations as well.

    To better judge whether thermal isolation is sufficient, three other
Ku-band receivers had their noise diodes thermally isolated -- ea05,
ea12, and ea16.  We then ran the 'Flux Redux' program, which extended
over about 17 hours (from a bit after 5PM to a bit after 10AM), to see
if there was a notable reduction in time (temperature) gain sensitivity.

    Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive.  ea15 seriously
misbehaved on this later run (with a very strong linear gain change of
some other origin).  Of the other three, two seemed to show no change in
gain vs. time, while one seemed to show a temperature-like variation
remaining.

    I use 'seemed' in the description, since the results are hard to
judge, for two main reasons:

    1) The night chosen for this had a much reduced temperature swing,
compared to the May 02/03 run.  This was largely because we had the
misfortune (or bad judgment) of observing on a very windy night.   The
high winds also cause a larger scatter in the amplitude solutions (but I
don't think this is a major problem for these Ku-band data).
    2) Identifying a weak 24-hour period in a 17-hour span is difficult,
even with stable conditions.  A longer run would have been better.

    I don't recommend trying this experiment again -- (I have too much
data already,  and temperature swings in summer are much reduced
compared to winter.)  It is probably best now that lab tests be done on
these diodes, to better understand their temperature sensitivity.