[evlatests] P-Band sensitivity

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:39:43 EST 2013

On 12/5/2013 9:02 AM, Vivek Dhawan wrote:
>Does Paul's Tsys include the galactic emission?

For P-band, Trx runs in the 50-60K region, measured mid-band at 350 MHz.
  For Tsys, I add 40K for Tsky, the value provided me some time ago by
NRL and Ravi based on the Cane model.  I do not know what additional
temperatures may be added by the dipoles, ground temperature, etc.  The
coaxial feed from the P-band dipoles to the LNA inputs inside the
receiver is only about 18-20 inches.  I have measured this total loss at
around 0.1-0.15 dB max., though still about 7-10K.  (74 MHz is a far
different story!).

LN2 hot/cold load tests are used to measure receiver temperatures.  It
is measured at 350 MHz through a 30 MHz wide bandpass filter to band
limit the power.  For consistency, the same filter has been used on all
receiver tests.  I just scrounged the lab and finally found some filters
for 250 and 400 MHz.  I will try to measure Trx on one of the receivers
this afternoon or Friday at 250, 350 and 400 MHz to get some values over
the P-band bandwidth.  I have never done this before to see how much
slope or differences there may be.  I also have a filter for 327 MHz if
anybody thinks pulling Trx at that frequency would serve any value.
Also, is there any value to measuring Trx at any frequency outside of
the 230-470 MHz bandwidth?

I will report the results.  I will be glad to adjust any of my numbers
if felt necessary.  I'm mostly using values given to me when the LBR
project first started, and we know the values given me for desired
output power and Tcal were way too high.

Paul