[evlatests] Non-linearity in P-band flux transfer

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 21 16:32:53 EDT 2013

On 8/21/2013 1:12 PM, Rick Perley wrote:
>  I use 'R' and 'L' here, as I've yet to be told which
 >  one corresponds to the horizontal or vertical dipole channel...

I just returned from a week family leave; sorry for the delay in
answering your questions.

Here's the polarization definitions we've been following, provided the
dipoles are orthogonal to the apex quadrapod legs:

LCP = XLP ("X" Linear Polarization) which is the axis parallel to the
ELEVATION or HORIZONTAL axis.  The old legacy 74 MHz system often
referred to this as the North-South axis (which I've never quite figured
out the genesis of this, as this changes from arm to arm, never mind
azimuth pointing).

RCP = YLP ("Y" Linear Polarization) is the VERTICAL axis when the
antenna is pointed to the zenith.  The quadrapod leg with the ladder to
the Apex also defines the VERTICAL axis.  The old 74 MHz E-W axis.

Thus,
R = Vertical
L = Horizontal

I am attaching an Appendix to the LBR Technical Manual (under
construction) that illustrates the various polarization axes.

If there is any dispute with these definitions, please let me know.

Paul