[evlatests] Fooling 'set-and-remember' at L-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 13 18:21:11 EDT 2013

    I wrote earlier about the Psum values being low (~factor of 10) for
three antennas (ea02, ea07 and ea13) in RCP on a recent test.

    An almost identical test was run the previous day.    Looking at
this, it is immediately apparent that the problem noted above was *not*
present in the earlier test.  All PSum values, for both IFs, for all
three antennas, are well within the accepted norms.

    I claim that 'set and remember' got fooled -- somehow, but an
erroneous high IF power during the 'set and remember' stage of the
observation.  But why only those antennas, on that one polarization?

    We've seen this problem before, and I'll again point out that the
receivers are more stable than the L-band power environment.  (Same is
true at S-band).  I know there is great resistance to utilizing pre-set
tables.  But it seems to me that table errors of an order of magnitude
are much less likely than the errors in the 'open-sky' power settings
that we're occasionally seeing with the current arrangement.