[evlatests] Rubidium drift and the WIDAR timecode PPS faults

Keith Morris kmorris at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 22 19:33:47 EDT 2013

On the upcoming Wednesday maintenance day we propose to do two things:

1. Calibrate the 5MHz crystal in the Rubidium standard in order to
minimize its drift.  If we are unable to tune it to an acceptable drift
rate (and by acceptable, I mean on the order of what the Maser drift
rate was, ~10ns/day), then we will bypass the L356 entirely and
discipline the Rubidium with the GPS tick directly.

2. Try to revert the MIB software in the L350s to version 1.00 -- if you
recall, among the other changes I made to the MLO last week was the
application of the newest MIB framework to the L350s.  The 60-second
flag from the MIB to the FPGA timecode generator is implicated in the
timecode PPS faults, so it makes sense to scrutinize the MIB software
that changed.

--
Keith Morris
National Radio Astronomy Observatory