[evlatests] More on Zero PDifs

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:20:43 EDT 2012

    I sent yesterday a list of antennas which had zero-mean switched
power.
    I reviewed today an earlier test, taken on 25 August with the same
script.

    There are two differences between the 25 August and 16 September data:

    1) PDif was non-zero (i.e., working as expected) on ea27 at all of
the observed bands,
    2) ea23, at K-band, was working correctly on 25 August, but not on
16 Sept.

    All other 'zero PDifs' reported below were also zero on 25 August.

   There are some antennas which provide zero mean PDif data --
meaning, the PDif values are just random noise with a zero average.
This is a significant problem, since we cannot then use the monitor data
to determine and correct antenna electronics gain changes, or monitor
system temperatures.

   The aborted test run from last weekend provides a 'map' of PDif
problems from X, Ku, K, Ka, and Q bands.  Here is a summary of antennas
with zero-mean PDifs:

              ea12 on IF 'D'
              ea27 -- on all IFs

   Ku-Band: