[evlatests] X-band Lunar Compression

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 8 10:30:19 EDT 2012

    The moon seems to provide 160 -- 200 K to the system temperature at
X-band -- which multiplies the total system temperature over cold sky by
about a factor of 6.

    The apparent PDif compression*100 (ratio of switched power on moon
to that on cold sky, multiplied by 100) is given below.

    Special Problems:

    1) ea02 has zero-mean PDif on all IFs.  Only noise is seen in the
difference.
    2) ea16A has a ratio of -0.59:   the cold sky value of PDif = 90
millicounts.  The moon value of PDif = -50 millicounts.  This is unique
behavior -- I've not seen a consistent negative PDif on any antenna, on
any IF, at any band, on any other test I've ever done.
    3) antennas 8, 12, 15, 20 and 28 are the 'old-style' receivers.  For
these there is no PDif on the BD side -- the entries are marked with
'x'.  Note that for these antennas, in the 'AC' IFs, there is virtually
no PDif compression.  This behavior has been noted before in other
tests.  Since the 'old style' X-band receivers provide much less power
to the T304 than the new style, this lack of compression for them is
strong evidence that the problem (for this band, at least) arises in the
T304.

Ant.      A     B     C     D
------------------------------------
01        91    85    93    78