[evlatests] XM Radio, and S-band compression

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 29 15:56:41 EST 2012

    S-band observations are now being taken in earnest.  Tests done in
the past  -- and observations taken until recently -- indicated that the
presence of the DSR (Digital Satellite Radio) signals were not of
significant concern outside the subband in which they lay (usually
subband #3).  Careful perusal of the data taken recently is, however,
forcing a reconsideration of this.

    I have in hand, and have reduced, seven S-band observations, all of
objects of declination near zero.   Review of the visibilities, and of
the switched power data, strongly indicate that we are getting
significant amplifier compression for many of these observations.
Plotting the PDif data (which monitors amplifier gain) against elevation
clearly shows that significant gain reduction (by factors of up to a
few, but typically 1.5 to 3) occurs at intermediate elevations when the
antennas are pointed to the SE or SW.  No effect has been seen below ~35
degrees elevation,  nor above ~60 degrees.  All antennas, and both
polarizations, are affected, about equally.  (Although the satellites
broadcast in RCP, our sidelobes are elliptically polarized in general,
so we get roughly the same power to each side).  (We have one example
where only LCP was affected -- no obvious explanation is offered, other
than a suspicion that the saturation occurs in the T304, and the input
attenuators on that day may have been set too high in RCP).   And *all*
subbands are affected -- this is a global amplifier compression problem.

    The two XM satellites are located, approximately, at El= 50, Az =
195 (HA ~ +1, dec = -4), and El = 42, Az = 140 (HA = -2, Dec = -8).   A
rough guess is that we are seeing the compression when observing within
about 20 degrees of either position.   A similar problem should occur
when near the Sirius satellite system -- however, these are not
geostationary, so predictions are much harder to make.  Roughly
speaking, the three satellites are found at azimuths between 0 and 180,
and at any elevation!  They transit 8 hours apart.

    Clearly, this hypothesis needs to be confirmed.  As part of the
early tests mentioned above, two antennas were outfitted with XM/Sirius
blocking filters.  Unfortunately (and clearly, prematurely), these were
removed in order to do some bench tests in the lab.  These will be
re-inserted into two antennas tomorrow.  It is important to then make
another S-band run of a source of near zero declination, to see if the
compression effect is absent in those two antennas.