[evlatests] Intriguing pulsed emission in S-band

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 28 13:19:33 EST 2012

Hi Rick.  It sounds like the ABQ NexRad radar, but I'll
have to dig into my records and find the exact frequencies.
The 4.5 sec period is likely the rotational frequency of
the radar, not the actual pulse repetition period (which
would be much shorter).  Within each burst you saw should
be a multitude of short pulses (in the uS range) separated
by 20 mS or so.  Since they electronically scan in EL while
rotating in AZ, the strength of the signal will seem to
vary from rotation to rotation, depending on where they
catch us in the sweep.  -Mert