[evlatests] WIDAR Correlator low power mode

Kevin Ryan kryan at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:02:20 EST 2012

We put the correlator into the new 'low power mode' during the two scheduled outages yesterday (11/14) in an attempt to ride them out with minimal recovery impact.  Both outages lasted longer than 15-minutes which would've caused the correlator to shut itself down under normal operation.  In addition to cutting correlator current load nearly in half, the low power mode monitors power plant output voltage and will keep the correlator running until a minimum threshold is reached (at this time it is set for 43.0V).

The curves below show that we had plenty of battery left after 19-mins and 16-mins of outages.  We still have work to do on it but it looks like this will be a nice alternative to powering down the correlator during these scheduled maintenance outages.

The Operators' CPCC GUI was updated with buttons to bring the system in and out of low power mode and now also shows power plant voltage and charge/load current information.

Another bit of good news is that WNM got their equipment working yesterday in time for the second outage so that we did not lose communications between the site and Socorro last night.

Regards,
Kevin