[evlatests] Calibrating 3-bit data

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:37:33 EST 2012

    Vivek's statement arises from the AIPS calibration corrections
('CALIB'), on data which have been corrected by the switched power
tables.  He and I have always noted that these correction factors are
within a few percent of 1.0, where 'a few' is typically 5%.  (There are
usually a few antennas which are quite deviant -- usually due to
problems in the SY tables).
    It's certainly true that the high frequencies are worse, but that's
easy to explain in terms of extraordinary atmospheric absorption, bad
pointing, winds, etc.

    If you have trouble accepting these statements, I have some 'flux
density' data you can try this out yourself ...

    Rick