[evlatests] Failures during last night's tests

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 5 12:33:20 EST 2012

    Another 'flux densities' test last night suffered multiple
failures.  Although similar to those from two nights ago, there are
significant differences.

    I attempted to observe six sources, in this order:

    3C84, 3C138, 3C147, 3C454.3, Uranus, J0006-0623.

    For each source, the following sequence of bands was made:

    L, XRefPnt, X, C, S, U, K, Q.

    Except for the referenced pointing, the times were arranged to
provide between 15 and 20 seconds of good data.  Typically, this means
each band is observed for 20 to 35 seconds (the difference being due to
how long it takes to reconfigure the correlator and/or move the
subreflector).

    The major fault (from the observer's point of view) was missing scans:

    3C84 missed Ku, K, Q, and Ka bands.
    3C138 missed Ku band.
    3C454.3 missed S, Ku, K, Q, and Ka bands.
    The last two sources provided no data at all.

    The problem which affected the data from two days ago -- zero
amplitude and zero weight data on approximately half of the antennas --
did *not* occur in last night's test.  The only issue (from the
observer's perspective) is the missing scans.

    The operator's message, sent following the run, is reproduced
below.  The first alert he references is 44 seconds following the last
valid data (2:55:36).  Presumably, these missing data are all 'pure
zeros', and hence are stripped out upon filling.
    The operator's message also references emails about missing BDFs --
he lists three messages, but there are five missing scans.  The times
noted are a poor match to the missing scans:  at 2:35, we were getting
good data at X-band on 3C138; at 2:40, we were doing a referenced
pointing run on 3C147 -- which gave excellent solutions, and at 3:00, we
were on or near Uranus (hard to know for sure, since no data showed up).