[evlatests] Meeting to discuss temperature-induced gain variation

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 14 16:20:51 EST 2012

    The power from the noise diodes used to monitor the receiver gains
are known to be temperature sensitive -- this has been demonstrated by
monitoring their output over a 24-hour cycle with the antennas parked.
    The diodes are attached to the feed horns, which prove to be good
heat pipes, coupling the diodes to the outside temperature much more
effectively than we had thought.  The upshot of this is that the
corrected visibilities should show a variation closely coupled to the
air temperature.
    The 'flux densities' run has shown this to be the case.  At Ku and K
bands, the post-correction gains are seen to vary, with a clear 24-hour
signature, by about 2% (in power) about the mean -- a total ~4%
excursion.  The effect is also visible at X-band, but at a lower
level.   Some antennas show a larger effect than others.

    A meeting to discuss the ramifications of this is scheduled for this
Thursday, 16 February,  at 9AM in the auditorium.  We will show the
evidence, and discuss how to reduce (or remove) this induced gain
variation.