[evlatests] Broken/Malfunctioning Switched Power -- A summary

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 9 10:41:23 EST 2012

    The switched power monitoring system works very well (within certain
bounds that Vivek and I will describe in today's meeting) for nearly all
antennas at all bands.

    I have reviewed the behavior of this system from the 'flux
densities' run, taken January 19/20, and give below the (very short!)
list of those antennas/bands where the monitoring system is clearly not
working at all.  In drawing up this list, I have left out those cases
where apparent malfunctions are very likely due to the well-known switch
problems.

    1) Global problem:  ea17 in LCP was providing extremely noisy data.
The PDif values vary over a ratio of nearly 2:1 at all bands, and in
both IFs B and D.  The same variations are seen in PSum, but they are
proportionally much smaller -- so the derived Tsys also varies by nearly
a factor of two.  The character of the variations is pure noise -- there
is no trend on any timescale.

    2) Band-dependent problems:

    a)  ea28 in LCP at L-band.  The system works well for about half the
time.  For the other half, the values are many times higher, with
enormous variations in power.  The system stays in each state for
typically an hour or two, then reverts to the other state.  *** This
situation has never changed since the switched power system was
installed on this antenna***.

    b) ea6 in LCP at S-band.  Here the PDif (only) changes smoothly over
a few percent, over timescales of seconds.  The PSum looks stable.  This
change is not visible in the visibilities.  Once again, this situation
has been in place since the receiver was put into service.

    c) ea25 in both polarizations at K-band.  The PDif values are just
noise.  PSum looks fine.  It acts like the diode is not switching.

    If these issues can be addressed, then I have no hesitation in
recommending that users apply their (suitably edited) switched power
tables.  'Suitably edited' means that there are transient events, most
of which accompany band changes or occurance of RFI, which need to be
reviewed and possibly purged prior to any smoothing or application.  The
switched power system is very sensitive to external RFI which lies
within the subband.  Blind application of the PDif values is usually not
appropriate in this situation, as the visibility data are in general
differently (and usually much less) affected.

    I'd like to emphasize here that the PDif system is *very effective*
at removing the gain losses caused by the band switch problems.