[evlatests] `Wobbles' before/after T304?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 28 10:28:18 EST 2012

    In answer to Vivek's question, I offer one more plot.  Attached is a
'waterfall' plot of the phases for a single baseline:  2 x 23 (N56 x
N64).  This shows one of the slower (longer period), stronger
'wobbles'.  Time increases vertically, and frequency horizontally.  The
scale is -1 to -1 degree.  The source is 3C84 -- about 32 Jy.  (It's
increasing in flux, by the way -- it was in the middle 20s a few months
ago).

    The smooth left half is IF 'C', right half is IF 'D'.  IF 'C' is
centered near 14.5 GHz, IF 'C' near 17.5 GHz.  The blue boundaries
(bottom and top) delineate the sixteen 'subbands'.

    Note that the right side has a slow (period about one minute)
sinusoidal variation of about +/- 1 degree, visible on most of the eight
subbands, and more notably on the first two.  Note how much stronger the
wobbles are in the first third of the first subband in IF 'D'.  This
greatly increased amplitude is entirely due to the bandpass correction
-- which is correcting for the attenuation due to the anti-aliasing
filter in the 1 GHz path in the T304.   It argues strongly that the
'wobble' is actually about equal amplitude across the subband.

    This amplified variation is seen in *all* baselines which show the
effect.

    I also draw attention to the inter-subband boundaries on the left
wide (IF 'C'), where a high frequency weak 'wobble' can barely be
discerned!  This higher-frequency ripple is also visible in 'D' on (for
example) the first subband.

    The wobble is also visible in the calibrator (2.0 Jy) -- but is very
much weaker.  Hence, it seems to be proportional to the correlated flux
density.