[evlatests] RFI in S-band -- a summary

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:08:11 EST 2012

    Recent intensive observing at S-band has greatly improved our
knowledge of the RFI environment.  The situation is sufficiently complex
that a proper memo, with figures etc., will be needed.  Here I give a
short summary.

    It appears that all the significant RFI power comes from
satellites.  (There are of course ground-based contributions, but their
power input is negligible in comparison).   I break the contributions
into two groups:

    1) An 'omni-present' contribution, seen in all directions, although
with considerable variation in power.  These are concentrated into two
frequency bands:  2180 -- 2200 MHz, and 2310 -- 2350 MHz.  The latter is
from the DSR satellites (Digital Satellite Radio), both XM and Sirius.
The Sirius system comprises three satellites in highly elliptical orbits
with a 24-hour period.  (XM is geosynchronous -- see below).   At least
two are visible at any one time (the apogee is above North America).  I
don't yet know the origin of the first-listed contribution, but its
omnidirectional characteristics suggest a system similar to that of the
Sirius system.
    2) A contribution from the 'Clarke Belt' -- the zone of
geosynchronous satellites.  There are dozens and dozens (perhaps
hundreds?) of these, broadcasting in many bands (including C, Ku, and
K).  Prominent among this group are the two XM s satellites, plus a
string of S/C band downlink satellites, approximately one for every
degree along the Clarke Belt.

    RFI power from the geosynchronous satellites is only a serious
problem (defined by sufficient power to compress the analog electronics)
when pointing close to them.  How close?  This is not yet well
established, and clearly will depend on which satellite and which band.
But one thing is clear -- observations at S (and presumably C) band, for
declinations within a few degrees of -5, are *severely* compromised, and
may be impossible.
    In contrast, for observations, say, 20 degrees away from the
geosynchronous belt, the only significant issues are the two relatively
narrow frequency bands given in (1) above.  An open question is whether
we should attempt to block, by passband filters, these two frequency
bands.
    The S/C band downlinks noted above are quite a nuisance -- these
downlinks are continuous from 3.6 to 4.2 GHz, and if the antennas are
anywhere close to the geosynchronous belt, completely overwhelm the
system power.   At some (still not clear) distance from the belt, the
contributed power is negligible (as a fraction of the total), but the
visibility data from the target source may -- or may not -- be
significantly compromised.

    There is much to learn yet before clear decisions can be made on how
best to deal with this hostile environment.  As shown by the Condon et
al. result (the confusion-dominated deep survey), excellent results can
be  obtained in S-band.