[evlatests] Collimation errors, and a problem with the OPT ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 29 11:42:32 EDT 2012

    A script to determine the antenna gains (efficiency) as a function
of elevation was run Saturday morning.  The concept is to follow a
strong source, from zenith to transit (or from transit to zenith), from
near midnight to just before dawn.  The time requirement is to minimize
any temperature-dependent effects, primarily to the noise diodes.   The
need to sample a wide range of elevations means the target source must
be in a declination range from about 25 to 42 degrees.  All these
requirements imply a rather small number (about six) potential target
sources.

    To remove any electronic gain changes (which will look like antenna
gain changes), we utilize our switched power calibration system.

    For the Saturday run, the source chosen was J2007+4029.
Elevation-dependent gains are only significant at the higher frequency
bands, so the observation used X, Ku, K, Ka, and Q bands.  I observed
them in that order.   I selected two separate tuning pairs for each
band  (hence, four frequencies per band) to permit a possible gain
formulation as a function of frequency within any one band.

    To remove apparent gain changes which are caused by bad pointing,
'referenced pointing' was run at each band.  Because of the possibility
of large collimation errors (see below!), I ran the referenced pointing
on the source for each band, and for each observation, and utilized the
result only for that band.  (Hence, x-ref for X, Ku-ref for Ku, etc.).

    The run lasted about 7 hours, and each frequency tuning pair was
observed twenty times.  For each observation, following correction for
electronic gain variations, a calibration solution was determined.  The
elevation dependency was found using the AIPS program 'ELINT'.

    In general, very good results were obtained.  But there are some issues:

    1) My parenthetical  note above about possible large collimation
errors proved true.  Ku-band, in particular, has a number of antennas
with large collimation offsets -- nearly all in elevation.  Here is a
short list (elevation offsets, unless otherwise noted):
         ea01         +0.4 arcminutes in elevation, -0.2 arcminutes in
azimuth
         ea02         -0.7 arcminutes in elevation, +0.3 arcminutes in
azimuth
         ea10         -0.4                                     also,
-0.3 arcminutes in azimuth.
         ea11         +0.5
         ea14         +0.3
         ea27         -0.35
          Other bands are much better.  K-band has two apparent large
offsets, all in azimuth:
         ea10         -0.4 arcminutes
         ea15         +0.5 arcminutes

    2) Unfortunately, most Q-band determinations failed -- a surprise to
me, since the source is over 2 Jy.  The failures all appear to be SNR
related.  However, I expect the collimations at Q-band to be good w.r.t.
Ka (which preceded Q-band -- see next item for explanation), so the
Q-band gain curves determined should be o.k.

    3) An OPT issue:  The OPT has a very useful capability when
determining a referenced pointing solution:  One can either determine it
'blind' (i.e., without applying a previous solution), or one can
determine the solution after applying the (not 'a') previous solution,
and hence determine a 'differential' solution, which is then properly
added to the earlier offsets.  This, for example, permits a Q-band
referenced pointing differential offset from another band (such as
X-band).  This is a very useful capability when one is trying to get the
very best pointing, and is worried about residual collimation offsets.
       However, the problem is that this useful feature can *only* apply
the pre-existing solution, and does not allow one to  use a single
reference pointing band, such as X-band, as reference for all others.
So, for example, in my case, the X-band solution is used for Ku-band,
the Ku-band solution was used for K band, K-band solution for Ka-band,
and Ka-band for Q band.  Not a problem is there is not a  large
collimation offset between those pairs of bands -- but a *big* problem
if there is.  (And there was!).
    Is it possible to have the OPT remember a particular solution (not
just the existing one), and apply that one to subsequent observations?
That is, develop a true 'secondary referenced pointing' capability, like
we used to have?