[evlatests] New, strong, L-band RFI

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:49:30 EDT 2011

Hi Rick.  Yes, the 1444.5 MHz RFI was due to a
telemetry package on the "JPL REMOTE" flight #625N
balloon launched on Friday, 23 Sept from the Columbia
Scientific Balloon Facility in Ft Sumner, NM.

They actually had 2 balloons active at the
same time the last of last week: 625N & 624N.  The
frequencies used were:

624N: 1524.5, 1515.5, 1501.5 MHz
625N: 1444.5, 1524.5, 2378.5 MHz

Operations received the usual 1 day or less notification.
The info should have been in the Operator's Log.

It is the height of the balloon season now at Ft.
Sumner.  Expect more L & S band activity.  I could try
to keep everyone informed with RFI Alerts, but the
trouble with balloon alerts is that the CSBF scrubs missions
more than half of the time (due to wind conditions, I suppose),
so we would get a lot of false alarms.

-Mert