[evlatests] Temperature-sensitive gains at Ku, K, Ka, and Q bands

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:04:51 EDT 2011

    The elevation-gain test taken early Saturday morning strongly
supports Michiel's evidence for temperature-sensitive gains -- and at
all the high frequency bands (Ku, K, Ka, and Q).

    A strong change in PDif was noted in the tests taken the preceding
week -- of a source setting from 82 degrees elevation to elevation 8.
All high frequency PDif values *increased*, by typically 10%, during
this period.  It was difficult to be sure that the visibilities changed
by a similar amount, since the test was of a single source setting
during the period.

    The data taken Saturday morning were of a source which was rising at
midnight, and transited at dawn.  Temperature effects were minimized,
while the elevation vs time was reversed (i.e., the source was rising,
rather than setting).  The PDif values for this run rise during the run
-- but by a much smaller amount than the previous week's test.

    We can rule out an elevation dependency of the PDif.  And we can
strongly favor a temperature-dependent gain, since the vertex room
temperatures should considerably lag the external air temperature.  Both
of my runs were taken when the air temperature was declining (the first
one strongly so, the second one only slightly), while Michiel's test --
which showed the opposite variation in PDif -- was taken with strong
heating.

    Application of the PDif values gives an elevation-dependence of the
gains which appears to be the same for both of my runs -- this
strengthens an explanation that the PDif changes are due to real gain
variations, and not due to a changing value of the noise diode power.

    Rick