[evlatests] A mysterious effect in ea26, at X-band.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:46:53 EDT 2011

    Vivek and I have noted a most bizarre problem with antenna 26 --
only at X-band.

    As a function of elevation we find that the Tsys *declines* at the
elevation decreases, while the observed fringe amplitudes *increase* as
the elevation decreases.  Both of these are exactly reversed from normal
behavior.   Tsys values are very high in general.

    Meanwhile, the PDif values inform us that system gains are not
changing.

    Interpretation:  The antenna acts as if we have absorber in front
of, or within, the feed, whose absorption varies with elevation.

    The most likely culprit is water in the feed.  Can somebody go take
a look at the X-band feed on ea26?