[evlatests] Antenna 5 Bandpass

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 10 13:56:08 EDT 2011

    A concern was expressed this morning  with the bandpass of antenna 5
at L-band.  I checked the Hercules A 'demo project' data, taken August
28.  There is a curious effect, not seen earlier (by me) in the RCP
polarization of this antenna.

    ea05, in RCP, shows a fine-scale frequency ripple -- only 5 MHz!
This is seen in both amplitude and phase, consistent with a reflection
of length ~30 meters!  This fine ripple is seen only in this antenna, in
that one polarization.  The amplitude of the ripple is quite small:
pk:pk less than 5% (and about 2 degrees in phase).   This length is
certainly longer than anything in the antenna optics or normal signal
path.

    I will check the earlier data (taken in March) for the presence of
this ripple.