[evlatests] More on PDif at 3-bits ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 16 13:48:27 EST 2011

    A 3-hour test of 3bits were taken last night, using 3C84 (30 Jy),
two other nearby point sources (2.5 and 0.5 Jy), and blank sky.  The
goal was to check whether the PDif compression problem affects the
visibilities.  I predicted it would not.

    Answer:

    It definitely does not!   I used the 8-bit data to establish
accurate flux densities of the two weaker sources (applying TYAPL --
there is every indication that the PDifs for 8-bit data are doing what
they are designed to do -- and no more!).  I then utilized these flux
densities, and solved for system gains using the 3-bit data.  The
resulting solutions are an exact mirror image of the PDif values for
those same data -- in essence, a reflection of the total power seen by
the synchronous demodulators.

    I can also report that Barry's conjecture that overflow of the 3-bit
digitizers is responsible for our PDif troubles is *not* supported by
comparison of the sampler DC offsets to the PDif compression values.
Keith extracted these offsets from the monitor data, and I've compared
them to the PDif depression values -- there is no correlation whatever.
    Ken worries about sampler rms values -- perhaps a correlation will
be found there.  I'll do that after lunch.