[evlatests] More on 'The Phenomenon'

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:25:06 EST 2011

    This is Mike's term for the 3-bit sampler chip resonance.  It is
easy to see on autocorrelation spectra.

    The good news is that it is not very strong on most antennas --
typically a few times the system spectral noise power.  (Be careful with
this description -- the power in these 'lines' is *not* a few times the
total system power.  Rather, the power within the 2 MHz channel, on the
line, is a few times the power in a typical 2 MHz channel, off the
line.)  The typical width of the line is perhaps 5 MHz, so with a
subband width of 128 MHz, the resonance line adds 5 to 10% to the power
within that subband, and a (trivial) ~0.5% to the total power seen by
the sampler.

   I have attached to files showing plots of the autocorrelation spectra
for the 6 antennas and 2 IFs for both the A1C1 and A2C2 paths, for the
subbands where the lines lie.  (The frequencies are from ~14.2 GHz
through 14.8 GHz, for the tuning employed in this test).  .  These are
*linear* scales, and are 'raw' -- no attempt at bandpass correction has
been made.  Hanning smoothing was done (but doesn't make much
difference, since the lines are resolved).  Note that:
    1) ea07 is much worse than the others -- as I've stated earlier,
something is really wrong with that receiver/IF path.
    2) The 'phenomenon' is at a different frequency for each antenna,
polarization, and path.
    3) One antenna, ea26 in the C1 path, doesn't show the phenomenon at all.

    The effect of these lines in the cross-power spectra will be small
-- a small loss in sensitivity for the channels in which the resonance
occurs.  Think of it as a narrow-band rise in system temperature.  The
effect will be much more troublesome for people wanting high resolution
spectral observations at frequencies 'covered' by these lines.   It's
probable that the lines won't move much with frequency, so we should be
able to alert people to where they are, so frequencies of interest can
avoid these 'noisy' zones.