[evlatests] Curiosity in PDif and PSum at S-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:25:13 EST 2011

    I continue to exercise the PDif/PSum data...

    At S-band, I have noted on some antennas/IFs, a perfectly regular
'pulsation' in the PSum and PDif values.  Two notable exceptions are
attached showing the PSum and PDif values for both polarizations for two
antennas, 7 and 23.  (These are postscript files.  In each are two
plots, the first showing PSsum for (top) RCP and (bottom) LCP.  The
second shows PDif for the same two polarizations.  ea23 shows the effect
more clearly ...

    In words:

    A very few antennas are showing a 5-second period 'pulse' in the
PSum values.   Once every 5 seconds, the 'PSum' value jumps upwards by a
small, but easily measureable value.  On the PDif values, we see a
similar effect, *except that* the PDif difference is itself sinusoidally
modulated on a period of about 1 minute!  (You have to see the plots!).

    This is absolutely not external interference.  The affected
antenna-IFs are:  7A, 26A, 23C, and (weakly) 21B.  The 'AC' frequencies
are centered at 2550 MHz (BW = 128 MHz), the BDs at 3520 MHz.  The fact
that the perturbations are different between PSum and PDif tells us that
this is not a gain effect.

    Any idea of what is happening here?