[evlatests] 3-bit polarization/stability test

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:08:10 EST 2011

Rick-

It seems to me that isolating the time-dependence of the
samplers' cross-talk is a tricky business.   Any pol-dep _gain_
variability upstream of the samplers will masquerade
as variability in their residual poln impurity by virtue of the generalized
algebra used to describe the net gain as a downstream term.
This is why the intentionally polarizing elements of the system
(where we usually worry about leakage) are built upstream of
the amplifiers, and also one reason why the ionosphere is
especially troublesome for polarization work (even before
worrying about non-isoplanaticity).   Upstream gain variability
has to be accounted for properly---and in this case, also the
upstream leakage (from 8-bit obs, presumably)---if
the samplers effects are to be reliably isolated.   Some very
careful algebraic gymnastics will be required here...

-George