[evlatests] Elevation Gain Curves

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sat Nov 5 16:15:26 EDT 2011

    I have determined the gain curves for most of the VLA antennas for
all bands where there are receivers.  The gain coefficients have been
sent to Joe and Bryan, for distribution to the appropriate places.  I
can send a 'personal copy' to anybody who wants these.

    A few comments on these coefficients:

    1) They were determined from observations of a single sources while
it rose from 8 degrees through 87 degrees elevation.  The data were
taken from midnight to just before dawn on a calm and clear night -- by
doing this we minimized the residual temperature sensitivity.
    2) The data utilized the PDif monitor values to remove (generally,
quite effectively) any amplifier or band switch gain variations.  A
small temperature variation of the noise diode potentially remains --
we'll not know the effect of this until more tests are done.  However,
for the high frequency bands, I expect this residual variation to be
small compared to the variation in actual antenna gain.
    3) Antenna 19 was out of the array, and antenna 20 was stowed by
operations after only 1 hour -- hence there are no coefficients
available for these.
    4) For nearly all antennas, the elevation dependence for the gain is
very low (2% or less) at L, S, C, and X bands.
    5) The gain variations for the high frequency bands is generally
parabolic, with the maximum gain near 50 degrees -- as we intend it to
be.  But there are some interesting variations, with a few antennas --
notably 11, 15, 19, and 26, showing much larger than normal gain
dependency at the high frequency bands.  This is almost certainly due to
incorrect subreflector coefficients for the 'subreflector rotation
trick' -- we will try correct these errors with measurements taken later
this winter.

    To illustrate the range of behavior, I attach two plots -- for ea16
and ea18.  The former shows a 'normal' antenna gain, the latter one of
the more extreme.