[evlatests] Antenna 5 Bandpass (cont).

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:02:27 EDT 2011

Hi Jim.  Would you try to organize a definitive
test of the L-band bandpass of ea05, searching for
the ripple written up in C127766?  As you can see
in the message at the top of this email chain, the
W8 monitor tap was removed back on Friday, 07 Oct,
2011, so a test at this time should determine
whether the ripple problem (only seen in
correlated observations--see Urvashi's 27 Oct,
2010 email at the bottom of this email chain) is
in fact due to the W8 monitor tap.

The W8 monitor is quite a useful tool, used by not
only the VLA IP group, but also non-NRAO astronomers
and observatories.  I would like to get it back on-
line.  Since all the ea05 ripple reports varied as
to polarization and occurrence, and since the W8mon
tap hardware has changed a number of times (without
a correlated change in ea05 ripple reports), I think
we need to determine whether it was the cause, now
that it has been totally disconnected for nearly a month.
Thanks.

-Mert

Certainly about the right length (~100 ft for
1/2 wavelength).  There are a lot of other
splices and connectors along the way, however.
In addition, the tap was a -10 dB hybrid as a
splitter, going into 2 of the old blue Miteq
L-band post amps (in series) via a isolator,
before hitting the long stretches of 1/2 inch
heliax.  The main (EVLA) signal path shouldn't
have seen any back reflections through all that!
-Mert