[evlatests] More on Switched Power 'Saturation'

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri May 27 14:15:25 EDT 2011

    Bob Hayward and I journeyed to antenna 24, 2 weeks ago, to do some
specific tests, hoping to clarify the mystery surrounding the apparent
compression (and sometimes expansion!) of the PDif values when observing
sources of different flux densities in situations where we know the
system gains do not change.

    The experiment reported on here is very simple:

    1) We observed 3C84, at C-band, in basic OSRO mode, with all antennas.
    2) Antenna 24 (which shows the strongest compression effect in its
RCP  channels) was stowed (but remained in the array).
    3) Extra noise power was inserted into the RF in antenna 24.  We
utilized a variable attenuator so that the added noise increased in 1dB
steps.  Twenty-two steps were utilized.  The maximum added noise was a
factor of 5 greater than the 'cold-sky' noise.   This extra noise should
replicate the effect on the front end of (say) observing a strong source
like Cygnus A.
    4) The station boards monitored the total powers, and produced, as
normal, values of PSum and PDif.  (Unfortunately, because we have to
adjust the attenuators by hand, our presence in the antenna was
required, thus preventing it from tracking the source.  Hence, no
visibility measurements are available to compare to the changes in
switched power).
    5)  'Set-and-Remember' was turned off, so that the Executor adjusted
the T304 attenuators to keep the power to the samplers in the 'safe
zone'.  This change in power caused by this is easy to see in both PSum
and PDif, and I've adjusted the results to remove the attenuation.

    Expectation:

    Following correction of the powers induced by the attenuator changes
in the T304, we would hope to see *no change* in PDif, since the
injected switched noise power was kept constant.   However, from
previous observations on/off Cyg A and 3C273, we know that the values of
PDif on the RCP side become smaller as the strength of the source
increases.  Thus, if our experiment indeed replicates an observation of
strong sources, we expect to see a reduction in PDif as the injected
noise power increases.   This effect should be nearly absent on the LCP
side.

    Result:

    Sadly (perhaps, depending on your point of view), the expected
effect was clearly seen.  On the RCP side, the values of PDif
monotonically decreased as the injected power rose (following correction
for T304 attenuation).  On the LCP side, virtually no effect was seen.
The RCP PDif diminution was ~15% at the maximum power injection -- a
factor of 5 over the 'cold sky' value.  IFs 'A' and 'B' (tuned to 4900
and 5000 MHz, respectively) were essentially identical.
    I attach a plot, showing the PDif rolloff.  All values of PSum and
PDif are normalized to 1.0 for the 'cold sky' setting, allowing direct
comparison.

    Although the expected effect was seen, its magnitude is quite a bit
less than expected -- the 'on/off  Cyg A' experiment -- which triples
the cold-sky system temperature --  showed a considerably larger
reduction in PDif than the ~8% reduction seen in the experiment.   No
simple explanation for this comes to mind.