[evlatests] Sensitivity of 3-bit vs. 8-bit

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Wed May 11 10:39:25 EDT 2011

Brent said that

   1- an ideal sampler would give a noise level 3.5% higher than
     a perfect analog system

   2- his simulations show that a sampler with levels mis-set enough
     to give the state count histograms we see would give a noise
     level 10-15% higher than a perfect analog system

We are comparing a real 3-bit to a real 8-bit sampler, rather than
a simulated (or ideal) sampler to a perfect analog system.  At the moment
I would say that our noise results are consistent with what Brent's
simulations predict, given the observed (3-bit) state counts.  There
are still several outstanding questions, so we continue testing, but
that's the current status.

                    Michael