[evlatests] T302 Linearity Test

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu May 5 19:05:37 EDT 2011

If the non-linearity is somehow coming from the LO used in the T302
leaking into the T304 and compressing the first RF amplifier, then
switching in the Solar 20 dB Attenuator wouldn't affect the strength of
the LO birdy (since the Solar Attenuator is in front of the T302 mixer).
Nor would changing the RF attenuator in the T304 affect this birdy,
since they come after the first RF amplifier.

None of these scenarios affect the Tcal/Tsys ratio (at least to first
order). This can only be done by increasing the actual noise being
delivered to the receiver, as in the case of looking at your strong
astronomical source (e.g., Cygnus).

Granted I have a hard time believing that enough of the LO from the T302
can really be getting through the 7.5-12.5 GHz filter in front of the
T304 to put it into compression, but this could explain why you are not
seeing the non-linear effect when you muck with the various attenuators
at your disposal.

-Bob