[evlatests] New RFI Sweep -- interesting new results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 22 11:42:52 EDT 2011

    Ken did an 'RFI Sweep' yesterday at noon.  Only the S-band equipped
antennas were included:  6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 22, 24, 26, 27,
and 28.  Some important new results are noted:

    1) He arranged that the script actually provide us the high end of
Q-band, so I can now verify the presence of a 128 MHz comb at the upper
end of that band.  Many, but not all, antennas show this comb.  *** By
far the strongest*** are from antennas 10, 14, and 22 -- antennas that
are nowhere near to each other, so responsible the mechanism is
certainly an internal one.  The second tier of self-polluting antennas
include 7, 8, 12, 14, 27, and 28.

    2) The 32-MHz replicating comb is now greatly diminished.
According to Ken, this was due to an incorrect fshift which was used for
the older observations.  The new value has reduced this resonance (1/4
of the subband width = 32 MHz for this experiment) from the level seen
last week of -27 dB to a level of -42 dB.  Probably good enough?

    3) The 29440 MHz 'super-RFI' line is present 'in spades' -- but now
without the 32 and 64 MHz echoes.  This birdie is on all antennas, with
about the same strength -- typically 30 dB above the noise.   Ken has
proposed a mechanism -- I think it is important to verify his suggestion.

    4) The 'lumpy-bumpy' phenomenon is present in a major way.  To
review:  'lumpy-bumpy' means the spectrum in a single subband is
elevated above the noise by typically 40 dB (this is HUGE) and has a
'bumpy' spectral structure with typical scale of ~5 MHz.  In last week's
final test, 6 baselines showed this problem, all of which were
associated with antennas 22, 26, 27 and 28.  Yesterday's test shows the
phenomenon on *most* of the baselines.  The root cause of this problem
is clear -- the single subband in which this occurs is that containing
the digital satellite radio signals (Sirius and XM).  This signals are
*strong*!!!  The total power within the RFI zone (2310 through 2350 MHz)
is more than 100 times the noise power within that subband.  (This also
means this power is about 6 times the entire bandwidth noise power!)
Not all baselines have been affected, but those that are are definitely
associated with specific antennas.  Although we should probably not be
surprised that this subband is messed up by these signals, I think we
need to understand a bit better just what is happening, and learn if
there is a way to prevent this.  I presume that the internal 7-bit mode
should help here.
    I'll note here that the other subbands seem completely immune to
this super-signal, with normal sensitivity and performance.