[evlatests] Switched Power Compression and Offsets at L-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 22 12:29:31 EDT 2011

    Ken ran a script yesterday which:

    1) Observed Cygnus A with the switched power monitoring system both
on and off; and

    2) Observed nearby blank sky, with the switched power monitoring
system both on and off.

    This was done at the four lowest frequency bands:  L, S, C, and X.

    This note summarizes the results from the L-band observations, taken
in two IFs, with AC at 1394, and BD at 1746 MHz.  At this frequency
Cygnus A approximately quadruples the total system power -- this is well
within the linearity specifications, so we expect the PSum values to
show this ratio, and the PDif values to remain unchanged between the
Cygnus A and cold sky observations (when the switched power injection is
on).

    Major Results:

    A)  There are no 'zero offsets' detected when the switched power is
turned off!  This is an interesting result, as these offsets are
repeatedly observed at C and S bands  (see later notes).

    B) Nearly all of our antennas show significant compression
(reduction) in the PDif value when we observe Cygnus A, compared to the
nearby cold sky position.  The typical compression is 10 to 30%.
Previous observations have demonstrated that this compression is not
seen in the visibilities -- it is apparently a problem with the
monitoring system itself.

    C) A few antennas show *no compression at all*:  ea11 in all four
IFs, ea17 in all four IFs, ea28 in LCP, and ea14 in RCP.  These are then
the 'golden antennas' -- the goal would be to make the others like
these!  A few other antennas, like ea02, show a compression of less than
5%.

    D) Conversely, there are a few antennas with much larger PDif
compression:  ea25 in RCP has a nearly 50% reduction in PDif when on
Cygnus A.

    Some Minor Results:

    A) Antenna 24 showed no power at all (i.e., the SY tables were
empty) in IF1.  IF2 was present and normal.

    B) Some antennas/IFs had a very low power level:  Ken tells me that
we should be seeing a value for the power of about 15 'counts' when on
cold sky.  The majority of the antennas in IF2 showed values close to
this.  The average power level in IF1 was about 10 counts -- 50% too
low!  And some antennas are nowhere near correct:
     ea01 in IF 'B':  power level at 4.1, and the ratio of Cyg/ColdSky =
1.5, rather than 3 to 4.
    ea03 in IF 'D':  power level 3 times too high.
    ea10 in IF 'A':  power levels a factor of 5 below the average for
IF1 (and a factor of 8 below IF2).
    ea15 in IF 'A':  low by a factor of a 3 to 5 in all four IFs.
    ea28 in IF 'A':  same as ea10.