[evlatests] Double-D term at C-band?

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Sun Jan 2 14:18:27 EST 2011

Rick-

A few points:

1. The D*D contribution to the parallel hands is constant in time
(per baseline) for stable D-terms because the parallactic angle
factor on that term contains the parallactic angle _difference_
between antennas in the baseline. These differences are
very nearly zero for the VLA, so unless the D-terms themselves
have a diurnal periodicity (recall the apparent R-L phase instability
I've reported for C-band, which could be a result of D(t)), the D*D
term cannot explain your 1% residual.  Also, this term cannot
be a function of source, nor is is purely antenna-based.

2. The  D*P contribution to the parallel hands contain non-unity
parallactic angle factors, and so can contribute time- and source-
dependent effects.  A ~10% linearly polarized source (e.g. 3C286,
3C138) and ~10% D-terms would induce a ~1% diurnal residual,
but it will not factor perfectly as an antenna-based _multiplicative_
gain.

3. It is worth noting that while the switched power system
is subject to the degree of polarization isolation in the
signal path it samples, the characterization of it as a
multiplicative gain correction does not admit a proper
polarization isolation correction (obviously it cannot
correctly model effects proportional to source polarization).

4. How well are the antenna- and poln-relative Tcals known?
As good as 1%?  Seems to me an uncorrected 1% residual
is easier to explain by a relative scaling error in the switched
power gain estimate (as a function of poln and antenna).  And
if a single mean Tcal is used for both polarizations on each
antenna, this would explain the polarization asymmetrization
you note.  (Pre-applying a commonly estimated opacity
correction---your "elevation-dependent correction"---
can also asymmetrize the residuals on the polarization
axis.)

-George