[evlatests] More interesting observations on the 'last two records' problem

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:05:54 EST 2011

    A closer look at today's Qband data reveals another curious
characteristic:

    By (happy?) accident, my attempt to observe at K-band failed, as I
mistakenly observed at Q-band instead.  This had the effect of observing
Q-band twice in succession -- so I got two 1-minute scans, back-to-back.
    In the filled database, there is no break between these two scans --
the records continue seemlessly.  In the scan listing, there are
separate 1-minute scans shown.

    So the obvious question is:  Is the 'phase scatter' seen in the last
two records at the end of a scan seen in the middle of my continuous record?

    Answer:  Yes!

    So the effect has nothing to do with changing band.  It has
everything to do with the end of the scan.