[evlatests] Referenced Pointing performance, over time

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 24 14:18:11 EST 2011

    I've reviewed all the Mars data I've taken at K and Q bands (since
1995) to try judge our referenced pointing performance over time.

    A reasonable statistic is the scatter in the observed
visibilities.   Because Mars is a resolved object, I looked only at the
scatter in the visibilities at the shortest spacings.  (A fairer test
will be to look at the calibrators, which I may try to do later today if
time permits).
    For reference, a 10 arcsecond offset results in a ~8% loss at
Q-band, and 2% loss at K-band.   A 20 arcsecond offset gives a loss four
times greater.

    Note that in the table below, the expected four-times-worse
performance at Q-band is not generally seen -- this is easily explained
by my zealous editing of discrepant visibilities -- the 4X larger
amplitude drop at Q-band is much more likely to get my attention!

    In the table are given the fractional spread (peak -- peak) in the
visibilities, in percent.

Year                K            Q
1995   Mar      5%         not enough data
1998   Feb     15           30
1999   Apr      7           22
2000   Oct       9           25
2001   Nov      6         not enough data
2003   Feb       6           13
2004   Aug     12          25
2006   Jan       10          10
2007   May     12          25
2008   Sep      13          30
2010   Jan         6          20
2010   Dec      20          50

Because of the editing process, it's best to concentrate on the K-band
data.  It's hard to see any trends here, but it's certainly clear that
the December 2010 data are much worse than the rest.

I checked the WX tables, hoping to see that the more degraded days were
correlated with high winds -- except for the May 2007 data, all runs had
low to moderate winds, less than 6 m/sec.

A complicating factor is that I had to use difference reference pointing
objects, at varying separations.

    A much fairer test is to utilize the point-source calibrators for
this survey.  I'll do this when time permits.