[evlatests] End-of-Scan problem

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:30:07 EST 2011

    I am now deriving the flux densities of the 'Planck' sources
observed in the big December run.  One of these sources is 3C454.3,
which is currently very strong -- about 50 Jy.  This allows a level of
careful review at high frequencies which is otherwise difficult or
impossible.

    The 'Planck' sources were observed at X, K, Ka and Q bands.  After
standard phase and amplitude self-calibration was completed, plots of
visibility phase showed about 25% of the phases were scattered about +/-
5 degrees, while all the rest were with 0.1 degrees about zero.  Very odd.
    Further investigation showed that *all* of the discrepant phases
were taken in the last two integration of each scan -- each integration
is 3 seconds long, so up to 6 seconds of data are affected!
    I claim the 'fuzzy noise' has nothing to do with integration length
-- the scatter is 10 to 20 times too high.
    I further claim that the problem indicates a real 'closure' problem
-- even if the data belonged to another band, the object is a perfect
point source, and the phases would calibrate out.
    The issue is not seen in amplitudes -- these remain stable to better
than one part in 200.
    Finally -- the problem is seen in K, Ka, and Q bands, *** but not at
X-band***.  What was different about X-band?  At this band (only) I did
not change band following the observation (I did the referenced pointing
scan).