[evlatests] Characteristics from L-band, using 30 hour run

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:12:31 EST 2011

Tod:
Thanks for the very interesting composite plots.

I believe that the short term variability is
related to changes in the antenna pointing and
sub-reflector position.  When out of focus and/or
at low elevations, the antenna is likely to pickup
more ground radiation.  The grayscale plots themselves
show significant changes in the background noise
level as we change setups from observation to
observation.

My first presumption for the night/day difference
is that solar radiation sidelobe entry plays a part,
as well as the ambient temperature change of the antenna
structure and atmosphere.

I don't think the electronics is creating a x10 change.
The temperature of most of the electronics is fairly constant,
and the 500 feet of buried coax are just that--buried.
There is 50 feet or so of unprotected (from temp changes)
coax on the antenna and at the pad, but if that was the
cause we should see changes with solar heating, shadow
vs. full sun.  I should run a plot for 2 days at the same
same temperature, but with 1 day being cloudy and the other
clear and see how the day/night delta changes.

-Mert