[evlatests] Effects of S-band DSR on visibility data.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 27 18:11:44 EST 2011

    Two trial stop-band filters were installed on ea21 and ea24 to
assess their effect on the EVLA data.  The two filters are from
different manufacturers, and both cover the range from 2310 through 2360
MHz.
    The test was to point at a northern calibrator, and nearby blank sky
for about 10 minutes each, alternating back and forth between the two.
Because the time of the observation wasn't known in advance, I used the
most northerly source of reasonable flux I could find:  J1153+8058.
Unfortunately, the observation was made at an HA of 10.5, meaning the
elevation was only 25 degrees, with the result that both antennas with
the filters were partially shadowed.   (These antennas are on E1 and W1,
respectively).  The shadowing means that amplitude calibration is a bit
dubious, and that there are cross-talk issues evident on all short
spacings, including the one between the two filtered antennas.
    Despite this, most of the results are quite clear.  Note that in
pointing to the far north, I arranged the DSR signals to be about as
weak as they can be -- the two XM satellites are geostationary (so in
the south, near dec = -6), while the three Sirius satellites are in a
highly elliptical orbit, seen roughly from NE through SE.

    I looked for three different effects:

    1) The effect of the filters on the data within the subband
containing the DSR emissions.

    2) The effect of the filters on data in adjoining subbands, but
within the same IF.

    3) Whether there are any differences in subbands within IFs which
contain DSR and subbands within IFs which do not contain the DSR signals.

    Results:

    1) The filters certainly do the job they are intended to do -- the
cross-power spectra in subband 3 (2.245 -- 2.373 GHz for the setup I
used) for baselines containing either ea21 and ea24 have a 'black hole'
where the emissions are.  Unfortunately, there are no useful
autocorrelation spectra for unfiltered antennas, since the DSR signals
cause the accumulators to overflow.  (Ken says he will fix things so I
can get useful autocorrelation spectra in the future).   Bandpass
solutions were made, and show that the channels more than a few MHz away
from the DSR signals give good solutions -- for antennas with, and
without, filters.  That we get good solutions even within the affected
subband suggests that the DSR signals are not strong enough to degrade
observing -- and this was borne out by generating noise histograms for
baselines containing the filtered antennas, and comparing these to
baselines with unfiltered antennas.  In general, it appears that the
data within the subband, but not directly wiped out by the DSR
emissions, are perfectly good.  I generated images of the blank field
for those unaffected channels, and although they are not quite as good
as images made in unaffected subbands, they certainly show the
background sources.
    The baseline 21 x 24 has much higher noise than any baselines
combining an unfiltered antenna to a filtered one -- but it turns out
this is a proximity effect (as 21 and 24 are adjacent) -- other
baselines of similar length between unfiltered antennas show exactly the
same rise in noise.
    The switched power (both PDif and PSum) for unfiltered antennas is
certainly messed up -- and this problem is nicely corrected by the
filters.  However, this is not a significant advantage, as one can use
adjacent 'clean' subbands to monitor system gain variations.

    2) Given the above, it is no surprise that other than the wings of
the filters modifying the phase, there is no discernible effect of the
filters on adjacent subbands.  Noise on baselines with the filters looks
just like that on baselines without.  The filters are expected to show
phase effects in the wings outside the stop-band -- this is easily seen,
with a phase slope of about a half-turn over ~30 MHz seen on both sides,
and on both filters.

    From these results, it seems the filters provide no useful
advantage, so far as the quality of the visibility data are concerned.
They would still be useful (and needed) if the switched power in the
'clean' subbands have been affected by the DSR signals.  I looked
carefully at PSum, PDif, and Tsys for 'clean' subbands in the antennas
with, and without, the filters.  No differences can be seen.

    Finally, I arranged another experiment where subbands within the
affected IF were observed with a new tuning which excluded the DSR
signals, to see if their presence caused imaging problems even in
subbands far from the DSR signals.  Specifically, there were two tunings:
    1) The first used two IF pairs (AC and BD), tuned to 2.5 and 3.5
GHz, providing 2 MHz channel resolution.  This setup utilized 128
MHz-wide subbands, with 2 MHz resolution, and provided the data reported
above.
    2) I made a second tuning, now using 64 MHz-wide subbands, with the
two IFpairs centered at 2.744 and 3.192 GHz, thus providing 1 MHz
resolution.  This observation followed the first by a few minutes.

    I then compared the noises for frequencies common between the two
setups.  The results show that the noises for the second setup (with 1
MHz-wide channels) is a few percent lower than that seen in the first
setup (properly including the sqrt(2) difference due to different
channelwidths).  But this improvement is the same for frequencies below
3 GHz as above 3 GHz.  (In the first experiment, the DSR signals are in
the A/C IFpair, but not in the B/D pair.  In the second, they are absent
in both IFpairs).  I conclude that the noted improvement is unrelated to
the presence of the DSR signals.

    Bottom Line:  At least for observations in the far north, I see no
useful improvement in data quality for antennas including the DSR
stop-band filters.

    But before abandoning this initiative, I suggest another test, to be
done after the reconfiguration is complete:  To observe a source, and
nearby cold sky, at a position closer to dec=0.  The filtered antennas
will be further apart, so that shadowing and proximity effects will be
essentially removed.